Skip to content

A Visitor in Canada and Extending Your Stay


There may be reasons you want to extend your stay as a visitor in Canada. Whatever the reason, here’s what you need to know to extend your stay in the country.

A visitor visa or Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) allows a visitor to Canada to stay for up to six (6) months. At the end of this time, a person no longer has legal status in Canada and must leave the country.

Tourists, international students, and temporary foreign workers are examples of people who are granted a TRV. The TRV is an official document to be used alongside a passport. It certifies you have met the requirements to be a temporary resident in Canada.

To extend your stay in Canada as a visitor, you may apply to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada for a visitor record. If your current visitor visa or TRV expires while you are waiting for your application for a visitor record to be processed, you may stay in the country under “maintained status”. The visitor record will have an expiry date on it. You must leave the country by this new date or apply for another visitor extension.

If your visitor status expires, you may be able to restore your visitor status if you continue to meet the requirements.

A person may visit Canada for various reasons and needs to have the legal documentation to do so.